09-20-2026, 01:22 PM
(09-19-2026, 08:00 PM)needle Wrote: To all those in the camp saying it's much more the players than coaching: Last week, only one of 68 P4 teams scored fewer than 10 points, UCF (in a heavy rainstorm).
This week, it looks like only Stanford and Colorado (late kickoffs still pending) scored fewer than 10 points.
I just don't believe that player-for-player, Stanford's offensive talent ranks last out of 68 teams. I don't believe that's true of Stanford's offensive line as a unit, either.
It's coaching, and what we've seen so far is dragging the talent down, at least arguably.
But football is about match-ups and gameplans, which change ever week. So we shall see what happens next.
I should not pretend to be an expert on O lines but I have been around the block at least once… and besides if lack of expertise ruled me out of commenting, I would never venture an opinion.
I think the offensive line on the field tonight in the white unis may have been the worst in college football. They gave effort, they tried to hit hard but the were totally inept.
Injuries are a big factor . We are working with a back up center and back ups at least at two other spots and maybe three . If I understood the announcer correctly (and making the big assumption that he had any idea what he was talking about) our starting right tackle had been moved over from center where he was a backup ..which means he was third string. Injuries have forced almost everyone to play out of position . Finally, these guys are pretty young ..we simply have to find a way to keep our Offensive linemen Around until they mature… that means we start Seniors and Fifth year guys with rare exception.
I am pretty sure we could put together a decent O line from former Stanford players who have transferred elsewhere and have now grown up. This is my way of not criticizing the guys we put on the field . Injuries and transfers have reduced us to playing third string quality guys and guys who will be pretty damned good once they grow up but are just too young to compete against grown men.
I was one of the truly great third string tackles in the history of .stanford football and I can assure you that if I had seen the field more than ten minutes game time a year, .stanford would have many more losses than our record actually has. I respect the guys who played and honor their effort and guts. I do not respect the program that managed talent so poorly that they are the best we could field.
End of speech. Thanks for letting me vent.
