The author of this article Mick quoted appears to be intentionally misrepresenting things.
If one bothers to fact check it, its claims are false. The author gives links which do not support, and often contradict, his claims.
The article claims:
- "China did not report the existence of the coronavirus in late 2019, according to a WHO timeline...."
- "This contradicts the agency’s initial timeline, which said that China first presented this information at that date."
- "The WHO’s updated timeline, posted online this week, now states that officials first learned about the virus on Dec. 31, 2019, through information posted on a U.S. website by doctors working in Wuhan, where the virus first emerged."
Those claims ("did not report", "contradicts" and "now states that officials first learned") are wrong. I believe an email to ProMedMail would confirm that it was NOT posted by doctors working in Wuhan, and that it was posted by NYC MD at midnight EST. There are also other claims that are wrong.
That initial timeline ACTUALLY
said:
Quote:Last updated 27 April
31 Dec 2019
Wuhan Municipal Health Commission, China, reported a cluster of cases of pneumonia in Wuhan, Hubei Province. A novel coronavirus was eventually identified.
The (updated)
UN timeline now starts off
Quote:31 Dec 2019
WHO’s Country Office in the People’s Republic of China picked up a media statement by the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission from their website on cases of ‘viral pneumonia’ in Wuhan, People’s Republic of China.
So, in fact, the updated WHO timeline indicates that the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission
DID report the existence of the coronavirus in late 2019, and WHO did discover it directly from them. Although more detailed, this reaffirms the initial report.
On the same day, the timeline also says
Quote:WHO’s Epidemic Intelligence from Open Sources (EIOS) platform also picked up a media report on ProMED (a programme of the International Society for Infectious Diseases) about the same cluster of cases of “pneumonia of unknown cause”, in Wuhan.
Several health authorities from around the world contacted WHO seeking additional information.
So, WHO was also notified the same day from a number of sources, one of which was highlighted by the article quoted above, and the others were, uh, mysteriously ignored.
The ProMed report was published at 23:59(EST?) 30-Dec =? 04:59 UTC. It contained the translation of
1)
Chinese news article published at 02:16 UTC (attributed to Sina Finance) which was prompted by a note (on the (Chinese) night of the 30th (so, before 30 Dec 16:00 UTC) on the website of the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission.
2) Chinese news article
published at 03:03 UTC (attributed to 21st Century Business Herald)
The ProMed report does not contain anything I can see to support the claim that it was posted "by doctors working in Wuhan". The posting has the two translated articles (one marked as "machine translation") plus some annotations by "modMPP": Marjorie P. Pollack, MD – MPP, Deputy Editor, ProMED-mail, out of NYC
(Anther early news report of the unknown pneumonia
31 Dec 07:55 UTC
Reuters mentions info from state broadcaster CCTV, social media of Wuhan Municipal Health Commission and of official People’s Daily newspaper (I previously mentioned this, but was confused by the time zone) )
On April 10,
I reported that China notified WHO & other countries on January 3. (Partly based on the
WHO Feb 24 report and
China's timeline (April 6))
WHO's
January 5 report correctly states "On 31 December 2019, the WHO China Country Office was informed of cases of pneumonia of unknown etiology (unknown cause) detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province of China."
I don't see anything that can substantiate any claim that WHO in Geneva saw it before WHO's Country Office in China. The claim in that article is that WHO in Geneva saw the PubMed report. That came out at 7AM Geneva time. By that time, it was 1PM in China. WHO indicates WHO in China saw it in the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission web site, where it had been posted the night before. I expect phones were busy that morning, and I'd bet that WHO China saw the website before the PubMed report came out.
------
The article also gives a link as though it supports the claim in this sentence
"Chinese officials and state-controlled media
also claimed for months that the communist regime informed the WHO on or around Dec. 31."
Follow that link and you won't find a reference to "December" or "January". That link does not support the author's claim.
Then the author states
"In recent days, however, Chinese officials have
dropped that talking point."
as though that link changes something. That link states the same thing that has long been reported: "On January 3, China started to send regular updates to WHO as well as other countries and regions, including the US." That link does not support the author's claim.