The CardBoard
Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal (/showthread.php?tid=21848)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - VB Card - 04-13-2021

Probably headed home to play at UW, best of luck to him.

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - BobK - 04-13-2021

Who’s next ?

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - SamuelMcF - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 09:28 AM)BobK Wrote:  Who’s next ?

Probably Wills

Yep. Thanks for the post Samuel. That’s the rumor.

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - TrumpCard - 04-13-2021

Have the pro-Haase folks on the board now come around to the view that he’s not the right coach for Stanford?

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - Papa John - 04-13-2021

I think I would qualify as pro-Haase, although I prefer to think of myself as pro-Stanford ;-)

Certainly don't want to speak for others, but I stand by my earlier position that Haase gets a Covid mulligan this year. Assuming 2021-22 is a more normal year in re: Stanford athletics, then I would say that Haase needs to make the NCAA tournament. I'm not crazy enough to claim addition by subtraction, but he's had enough time and the team will still have (young) talent.

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - SamuelMcF - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 01:23 PM)Papa John Wrote:  I think I would qualify as pro-Haase, although I prefer to think of myself as pro-Stanford ;-)

Certainly don't want to speak for others, but I stand by my earlier position that Haase gets a Covid mulligan this year. Assuming 2021-22 is a more normal year in re: Stanford athletics, then I would say that Haase needs to make the NCAA tournament. I'm not crazy enough to claim addition by subtraction, but he's had enough time and the team will still have (young) talent.

Agree but am pretty pessimistic about next year's chances at such, and thus would not have been upset if he was done after the season (though didn't expect it at all).

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - BostonCard - 04-13-2021

What Sam said.  A coach like Kevin Hambly can reasonably be given a pass due to COVID-19; he's already shown he can coach to a championship caliber, and even if you believe he was "handed the keys to the Ferrari", it would make no sense to indict him on the basis of one COVID-19 season.  On the other hand, we've had warning signs about Haase for some time, so it's not like we are trying to deal with conflicting information here (or even no information other than a COVID-19 year).

I'm not averse to giving him another year, but I don't believe the outcome is going to be all that different next year.

BC

Even remotely comparing Hambly to Haase is strange to me

That said I’m encouraged by those leaving except daSilva. Da Silva leaving has nothing to do with Haase. I can’t repeat of course. It is a pro Haase situation however

It’s time to play the younger players. To me O’Connell is better that either davis or Wills and Silva could be also.
Plus Haase isn’t leaving for at least a year

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - Papa John - 04-13-2021

Pre-Covid, I was of the opinion that 2020-21 was the make or break year for Coach Haase. But the challenges that Stanford faced were unlike and far more difficult than most other teams that actually played a season. Hence the mulligan.

And also my belief that Tara should get her own wing in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Or maybe they should just rename the Hall of Fame.

Back to Daejon Davis: he's leaving with a Stanford degree and I wish him well, just not against Stanford.

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - AlbanyCardinal - 04-13-2021

I often start out the season pro-Haase and then turn anti-Haase a few games into the conference schedule. Like clockwork. Anyway, I'm not so sure the team looks to be down next season. Especially if the Rutgers grad transfer joins the team. But, in either case, the question for me is whether the team'll decline as the season wears on, no matter how good the squad actually is. 

(04-13-2021, 01:40 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  What Sam said.  A coach like Kevin Hambly can reasonably be given a pass due to COVID-19; he's already shown he can coach to a championship caliber, and even if you believe he was "handed the keys to the Ferrari", it would make no sense to indict him on the basis of one COVID-19 season.  On the other hand, we've had warning signs about Haase for some time, so it's not like we are trying to deal with conflicting information here (or even no information other than a COVID-19 year).

I'm not averse to giving him another year, but I don't believe the outcome is going to be all that different next year.

BC

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - BostonCard - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 02:43 PM)BobK Wrote:  Even remotely comparing Hambly to Haase is strange to me

That said I’m encouraged by those leaving except daSilva.  Da Silva leaving has nothing to do with Haase.  I can’t repeat of course.  It is a pro Haase situation however

It’s time to play the younger players.  To me O’Connell is better that either davis or Wills and Silva could be also.
Plus Haase isn’t leaving for at least a year

I agree with you! The only reason I brought it up is to highlight the differences.  I brought up Hambly as a basis for comparison because they both had disappointing seasons this year, and in another thread someone brought up whether this season reflected poorly on Hambly.

BC

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - winflop - 04-13-2021

Haase
Muir
:P

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - lex24 - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 05:46 PM)winflop Wrote:  

Haase
Muir
:P

Good, I thought Davis quit on them.

Well no

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - winflop - 04-14-2021

Davis is graduating. I wish him nothing but success.

I don't hold Davis' departure against Haase, but I still think that despite the challenges of last season Haase needs to go. The team played its worst at the end of the season for the third year in a row. I also think Haase lost the locker room this year and that will carry over into next season.

In the grand scheme, it won't matter much. With now three and possibly four starters leaving, the team is highly unlikely to make the NCAAs next year, which should be the nail in the coffin for Haase's presence on our sideline.

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - burger - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 04:59 AM)winflop Wrote:  Davis is graduating. I wish him nothing but success.

I don't hold Davis' departure against Haase, but I still think that despite the challenges of last season Haase needs to go. The team played its worst at the end of the season for the third year in a row. I also think Haase lost the locker room this year and that will carry over into next season.

In the grand scheme, it won't matter much. With now three and possibly four starters leaving, the team is highly unlikely to make the NCAAs next year, which should be the nail in the coffin for Haase's presence on our sideline.

I agree on all points, especially on the likelihood of success next year.  Even with Oscar in the lineup, we struggled to score this year.   I think the offense will be a bigger struggle next year.  And without Davis (and maybe Wills?) the defense will suffer, too. 

We have a lot of individual talent, but the story of the Haase era seems to be that the whole is less than the sum of its parts.

I'd love to be proved wrong on all of this.

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - needle - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 09:33 AM)burger Wrote:  
(04-14-2021, 04:59 AM)winflop Wrote:  Davis is graduating. I wish him nothing but success.

I agree on all points, especially on the likelihood of success next year.  Even with Oscar in the lineup, we struggled to score this year.   I think the offense will be a bigger struggle next year.  And without Davis (and maybe Wills?) the defense will suffer, too. 

We have a lot of individual talent, but the story of the Haase era seems to be that the whole is less than the sum of its parts.

I'd love to be proved wrong on all of this.

If Delaire and O'Connell stay, with the supposed talent of the incoming class there's a chance to make the tourney, imo. Both would need to improve significantly, but I think they can do it. 

I am just unsure how talented the frosh will really be, however.

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - PVTree - 04-16-2021

A March 31 tweet from Daejon...don't know the context behind it.

"watch how they treat you when they don’t need you... "

RE: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal - winflop - 04-16-2021

(04-16-2021, 02:42 AM)PVTree Wrote:  A March 31 tweet from Daejon...don't know the context behind it.

"watch how they treat you when they don’t need you... "

Not sure we will even know to what extent Davis contributed to that situation, but if he was made to feel unwanted that's a real shame and it's also a pretty stinging indictment of Haase regardless of Davis' role in that situation