The CardBoard
2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread (/showthread.php?tid=22408)

Pages: 1 2

2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - george - 10-12-2021

9-3 still on the table...

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - bl82 - 10-12-2021

I have no clue here until we get a sense of the health of our WRs and our DBs

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - Papa John - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 09:47 AM)george Wrote:  9-3 still on the table...

Why stop there? The Rose Bowl is still on the table. Stanford's two conference losses are to Pac-12 South teams. Win @ WSU, vs UW, vs Utah, @ OSU and vs Cal and we are 7-2 in the North. The only team that could best us is Oregon, who needs to lose one of the following: vs Cal, @ UCLA, vs CU, @ UW, vs WSU, @ Utah and vs OSU.

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - Austroturf - 10-12-2021

Not sure why I do this, because I have been wrong all but twice this season (picked the victory vs. Vanderbilt and the loss vs. UCLA).  Martin stadium is a miserable place to play, but better now than in November.  Oregon State got a taste of Martin misery last Saturday; and I hope we don't repeat the experience.  I say (full of optimism) that we regroup and come out of Pullman with a 31-21 victory.  The defense plays better early, we neutralize the Cougar run game, and our offense comes out more balanced, with success on the ground and through the air.  Of course, if we lose, it will be the 5th straight loss to Wazzu.  Does anybody want that?

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - CardinalSagehen - 10-12-2021

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Pullman+WA?canonicalCityId=4a6f349237b548f20a2b41bec52bb397e1661595403212e171a475a9af2a84cc

Saturday is the warmest day in the entire forecast.  High of 66, no rain.  For comparison, tomorrow, the forecast calls for rain with a high of 44.

So that's one good thing.

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - Goose - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 07:57 PM)CardinalSagehen Wrote:  https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Pullman+WA?canonicalCityId=4a6f349237b548f20a2b41bec52bb397e1661595403212e171a475a9af2a84cc

Saturday is the warmest day in the entire forecast.  High of 66, no rain.  For comparison, tomorrow, the forecast calls for rain with a high of 44.

So that's one good thing.
Assuming the weather guessers are anywhere close to right. Over the years I have learned that the weather in Pullman is pretty much impossible to predict. Be ready for anything.

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - BostonCard - 10-12-2021

A lot of very sanguine people here.  Stanford is favored by 1.5 points, which strikes me as eminently reasonable.  I think everything from a solid Stanford win to it all falls apart as we have neither receivers nor running backs to run an offense is possible.  I don’t see a super high score here; I’m thinking 28-24 or 31-28.

Note I’ve been dreadfully wrong much of the season.

BC

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - StanfordIndians1. - 10-12-2021

Ready for the naysayers....but i am back!  And actually i have predicted every game correctly so far
6-0
Kansas - always stink early time eastern games 
U Spoiled Children- always play good in their house.
Vandy? That’s always candy
UCLA- figured we wouldn’t keep pace
Oregon- i always take StanU over the quacks at home.  Period.  Ever since we time of possessioned Mariotta And then Hogan’s late fumble cost us the playoff.  Damn the Ducks always at the library!
ASU- too quick.  We can’t block them

WSU- we play more of a complete game. 34-27 W
Washington- we are grooving it to a W as the library fills up a bit more
Pukes- we have a bad game. Hate the Utes. L in low scoring bad wet game
OSU- W.  Suck it Beavs.  They are on a late losing streak-exposed
Cal? No question.  Hang the Axe in Shaw’s office this year
Dormers- haven’t decided.  Get back to me. 

We need to establish the run game or we are toast.  #gostanford!
Prob 7-5 is end And a W in El Paso bowl   8-5

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - Austroturf - 10-13-2021

(10-12-2021, 09:57 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  A lot of very sanguine people here.  Stanford is favored by 1.5 points, which strikes me as eminently reasonable.  I think everything from a solid Stanford win to it all falls apart as we have neither receivers nor running backs to run an offense is possible.  I don’t see a super high score here; I’m thinking 28-24 or 31-28.

BC

Yes, I think we could see pretty much anything.  The hapless Cougs that were routed by USC in their home stadium appear now to have found some momentum after two straight victories (Cal, OSU). Stanford, on the other hand, has been a Jekyll and Hyde story all season.  What seemed a certain W three weeks ago is now a serious question mark. My prediction of a 10 point victory is predicated on Stanford's unpredictability, as we have not been even remotely close to any Vegas lines this season.

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - JohnR34231 - 10-13-2021

(10-13-2021, 02:01 AM)Austroturf Wrote:  
(10-12-2021, 09:57 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  A lot of very sanguine people here.  Stanford is favored by 1.5 points, which strikes me as eminently reasonable.  I think everything from a solid Stanford win to it all falls apart as we have neither receivers nor running backs to run an offense is possible.  I don’t see a super high score here; I’m thinking 28-24 or 31-28.

BC

Yes, I think we could see pretty much anything.  The hapless Cougs that were routed by USC in their home stadium appear now to have found some momentum after two straight victories (Cal, OSU). Stanford, on the other hand, has been a Jekyll and Hyde story all season.  What seemed a certain W three weeks ago is now a serious question mark. My prediction of a 10 point victory is predicated on Stanford's unpredictability, as we have not been even remotely close to any Vegas lines this season.

The Cougs played well against U$C in the first half (had a 14-0 lead that could have easily been 21-0 as they failed to score despite a first down at the Condom one yard line). They then imploded in the second half. So maybe we have two Jekyll and Hyde teams here. Tough to predict an outcome between two teams like that. Plus the game is being played in Martin Stadium where even our 2015 team would have lost but for a Coug'ed last second field goal.

(10-13-2021, 03:14 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  

BC

The Cougs played well against U$C in the first half (had a 14-0 lead that could have easily been 21-0 as they failed to score despite a first down at the Condom one yard line). They then imploded in the second half. So maybe we have two Jekyll and Hyde teams here. Tough to predict an outcome between two teams like that. Plus the game is being played in Martin Stadium where even our 2015 team would have lost but for a Coug'ed last second field goal.

Yes, I watched the Cougs implode vs. the Trojans after Slovis went down and Jaxson came in.  

I also watched that 2015 game with the last second shanked FG.  If that had gone through, Wazzu would have won the North Division (all other things being the same) and Stanford would have had no stunning Rose Bowl victory over Iowa.  As it is, the Cougars still own a 4-game winning streak vs. the Cardinal (2016-2019).  Time for that to end.  I don't think any other team boasts such a long winning streak vs. Stanford.

(10-13-2021, 05:45 AM)Austroturf Wrote:  

BC

Yes, I watched the Cougs implode vs. the Trojans after Slovis went down and Jaxson came in.  

I also watched that 2015 game with the last second shanked FG.  If that had gone through, Wazzu would have won the North Division (all other things being the same) and Stanford would have had no stunning Rose Bowl victory over Iowa.  As it is, the Cougars still own a 4-game winning streak vs. the Cardinal (2016-2019).  Time for that to end.  I don't think any other team boasts such a long winning streak vs. Stanford.

Yeah, well, the Pirate seemed to have our number (post 2015). We'll see if the new coach does. I sure hope our defense has better luck stopping his offense than it did the Pirate's Air Raid. One might say it has only one way to go.

(10-13-2021, 06:53 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  

BC

Yeah, well, the Pirate seemed to have our number (post 2015). We'll see if the new coach does. I sure hope our defense has better luck stopping his offense than it did the Pirate's Air Raid. One might say it has only one way to go.

It was as if Leach, being the Anti-Shaw, knew exactly where the holes in Stanford's system were and exploited them.

(10-13-2021, 07:10 AM)Austroturf Wrote:  
(10-13-2021, 02:01 AM)Austroturf Wrote:  Yes, I think we could see pretty much anything.  The hapless Cougs that were routed by USC in their home stadium appear now to have found some momentum after two straight victories (Cal, OSU). Stanford, on the other hand, has been a Jekyll and Hyde story all season.  What seemed a certain W three weeks ago is now a serious question mark. My prediction of a 10 point victory is predicated on Stanford's unpredictability, as we have not been even remotely close to any Vegas lines this season.

It was as if Leach, being the Anti-Shaw, knew exactly where the holes in Stanford's system were and exploited them.

Yeah. Leach's offense had success against just about everyone, but his cross-state rivals were his kryptonite. The Husky DC (now the head coach) even said he looked forward to playing Leach because his offense was so easy to stop.

(10-13-2021, 07:29 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  
(10-13-2021, 03:14 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  The Cougs played well against U$C in the first half (had a 14-0 lead that could have easily been 21-0 as they failed to score despite a first down at the Condom one yard line). They then imploded in the second half. So maybe we have two Jekyll and Hyde teams here. Tough to predict an outcome between two teams like that. Plus the game is being played in Martin Stadium where even our 2015 team would have lost but for a Coug'ed last second field goal.

Yeah. Leach's offense had success against just about everyone, but his cross-state rivals were his kryptonite. The Husky DC (now the head coach) even said he looked forward to playing Leach because his offense was so easy to stop.

That's a good point.  Leach only managed 1 victory in 8 tries against the Dawgs.  Petersen and his team were a better psychological foil to the Pirate and knew how to make him stumble over his own methods.  Shaw seemed to approach Wazzu and Leach as if they were just another opponent.  Shaw led with vanilla; Leach always countered with tricks and traps.  Grinch's speed-D was such a trap back in the day.  Now Grinch is trying to make that part of Oklahoma's identity.

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - BostonCard - 10-13-2021

2012: Stanford 24, WSU 17
2013: Stanford 55, WSU 17
2014: Stanford 34, WSU 17
2015: Stanford 30, WSU 28

and then
2016: WSU 42, Stanford 16
2017: WSU 24, Stanford 21
2018: WSU 41, Stanford 38
2019: WSU 49, Stanford 22

It is worth noting that from 2012 - 2015, Stanford won the conference three times, WSU finished dead last twice, fifth once, and its best result was third.  From 2016 - 2019, Stanford won the P12N once, finished third twice, and last once, while WSU tied for the P12N crown once, was second once, third once, and 5th once.

All of this is to say that it was really not a particular mystery why Stanford won the first four games - Stanford was a relatively dominant team and WSU sucked.  The last four years, Stanford took a step back and WSU got a lot better.

BC

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - thunder_chik - 10-13-2021

27-24 W for Stanford.  Good weather predicted.  Hoping the Cougs coug it.

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - chrisk - 10-15-2021

We can hope that Stanford has better luck with its United charter into Lewiston this afternoon than USC did last month.

On the return, they fly out of Pullman.

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - JohnR34231 - 10-15-2021

(10-13-2021, 11:47 AM)Austroturf Wrote:  
(10-13-2021, 07:29 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  
(10-13-2021, 05:45 AM)Austroturf Wrote:  Yes, I watched the Cougs implode vs. the Trojans after Slovis went down and Jaxson came in.  

That's a good point.  Leach only managed 1 victory in 8 tries against the Dawgs.  Petersen and his team were a better psychological foil to the Pirate and knew how to make him stumble over his own methods.  Shaw seemed to approach Wazzu and Leach as if they were just another opponent.  Shaw led with vanilla; Leach always countered with tricks and traps.  Grinch's speed-D was such a trap back in the day.  Now Grinch is trying to make that part of Oklahoma's identity.

Leach and the Spokane sportswriter (John Blanchette) didn't have much use for each other. Of course, Leach would have an excuse for each loss to Washington and Blanchette would call him on it. In the press conference after the 2019 loss Leach ended up telling Blanchette to "go back in his cave" because he was tired of him. Blanchette said in 2018 the excuse was the snow, in 2019 the excuse was Washington's defense was so athletic, and he wondered what future ones would be. Leach of course left after that year, but Blanchette got one more in when Wazzu lost to Air Force in the bowl game. He said that unless schools are recruiting for lieutenants and generals these days, it would be hard for Leach to say that Air Force's defense was too much for him.

RE: 2021 Stanford at WSU Predictions Thread - MV72018 - 10-15-2021

(10-12-2021, 09:47 AM)george Wrote:  9-3 still on the table...

You have a charming sense of humor!