11-04-2021, 05:43 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2021, 05:46 PM by CardinalSagehen.)
(11-04-2021, 02:11 PM)george Wrote:(11-04-2021, 02:48 AM)Austroturf Wrote: On another note, as I write this post, there are fully 7 out of 16 Cardboard members predicting a Cardinal victory tomorrow. Is this pure homerism, or do the 7 of you know something the rest of us are ignorant of?
(11-04-2021, 08:24 AM)Papa John Wrote:
Some of us vote with our hearts, not our brains.
Definitely put me in the "vote with our hearts camp". Interestingly, an early version of the rules proposed that participants should be penalized -10 points for picking against Stanford. But actually, if we care about declaring the person who makes the most accurate predictions the winner, we may need to build in a bulwark against our proclivity for picking the Cardinal even in the face of strong data suggesting they don't have a chance.
Don't want to change the rules mid-season, but next year, we should probably place a larger premium on getting the winning team right. It won't prevent me from picking our beloved squad to win, but I don't think that I should be in 7th place having picked the wrong winner in 5 out of 8 games.
I'm voting with my heart, too. And I expect to fall way down the list this week, because Utah is good at everything we're not.
At the same time, the current spread on this board (Utah -10) is even more pessimistic than the Vegas spread (Utah -7.5). If you take out the blatant homers like Papa John, george, and me, the CARDboard spread would probably be something like -17 points.
I ask - is it possible we're predicting irrationally and emotionally not just for our team, but against our team?
I'm -17 in my mind, but I'm +1 in my heart.
Stanford 28, Utah 27.
