(11-05-2021, 11:25 AM)Austroturf Wrote:(11-05-2021, 08:45 AM)82lsju Wrote:(11-04-2021, 02:48 AM)Austroturf Wrote: On another note, as I write this post, there are fully 7 out of 16 Cardboard members predicting a Cardinal victory tomorrow. Is this pure homerism, or do the 7 of you know something the rest of us are ignorant of? I sure hope Stanford wins. It would be a great upset and set the tenor for the rest of the season (maybe even put us back into bowl contention). But there is no objective data supporting that outcome.
Apart from "miracles happen" (thunder_chik), are there any other observations from the folks predicting a W for Stanford?
I'm one of those seven, given there is no real reward for picking against Stanford I always pick us to win even if I think it doubtful we win (like the Oregon game), if I decide not to pick us to win I won't make a prediction...
Hmmm, I thought the penalty for picking against Stanford had been removed. George? Your wise counsel is required.
I meant no real reward in terms of winning the pool, no NIL deals, no trophy, no skybox seats....
I get zero joy picking the exact score if I have to pick against Stanford so I don't.
Maybe next year if we all have to kick in some $$ and the winner takes all I'll pick differently....
Quote:Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith, the father of Stanford running back E.J. Smith, wrote to his 763,600 Twitter followers that the offense was “too predictable” during Saturday’s 20-13 loss to Washington, which was the second straight game that the Cardinal allowed a go-ahead touchdown in the final 90 seconds.
“That’s what you get … when you’re trying to feature your QB,” Smith wrote in a since-deleted tweet. “You have 3 RBs who can produce for you.”
...
“More than anything else it’s really just a mentality,” Shaw said. “It’s the mentality of finishing games. There’s no magic trick, there’s no magic play call, there’s no benching one guy and starting another guy. It’s a collective effort in all three phases to realize when you’re close and get over the top. We used to be one of the best teams in America in doing that for almost a decade, winning those close games at the end, and we have to accept the fact that we haven’t done it and need to relearn how to do it.”
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/11/04/h...ose-games/
Eric
"the older we get the better we were"
